Thursday, July 28, 2011

Maple Dijon Tofu with Almond Crumble

Alright. So... before I talk about this recipe I need to talk about tofu.
I love tofu, but in the past could never really get any of my recipes to turn out well. I wanted extra firm tofu, and always relied on the Nasoya brand for my recipes. Not to hate on Nasoya tofu, but I do kind of... hate it.

This past year, however, I went out on a limb and tried a new brand that I saw at Whole Foods that I hadn't tried yet. I had always shopped at Meijer (when I lived in Michigan) and since moving to Chicago have been lucky enough to live near a Whole Foods. I tried the West Soy brand tofu and I love it! It's great for holding its own in marinade, because, well... sometimes I forget I have tofu marinating in the fridge... for 4 days.


So now that I've found a brand that I'm fond of, I've been trying out a ton of tofu recipes. Here is one of them, which I found over at A Profound Hatred of Meat.


In all honesty, this is one of THE BEST recipes I have tried for tofu. The almond crumble is slightly salty, rich and has melt-in-your-mouth crumbly texture that goes well with the maple syrup-y sweetness. Add a little kick from some cayenne and zing from the dijon mustard and you're seriously good to go!


Ingredients
  • 1 package extra-firm tofu (14 oz. = 397g)
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. cayenne (or red pepper flakes)
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  1. Combine all ingredients (except the oil) and marinate the tofu for at least one hour. I actually left mine for about 3 days in the fridge! I put my tofu (sliced) into a freezer ziploc bag and pour the marinade in. (RESERVE MARINADE!)
2. Heat oil on med-high in a pan and place slices of tofu in. Sear both sides of tofu until golden brown.
Now, Preheat oven to 350F.







3. Make almond crumble:
  • 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking GF oats
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 2 tsp. rosemary
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
Chopped almonds.
In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients. Pulse until a coarse crumb. Add oil and maple syrup, pulse until mixed well. 


4. After crumble is made, place tofu on lined baking sheet and top with the crumble. Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Top tofu with the reserved marinade! Ta-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment